3/18/2011

Mobile Wood Fired Pizza Oven part 2

So I did some more work on the oven today. I set the last of bricks into the forklift-able steel base. The last few bricks took quite a bit of convincing to get seated properly. I think that bricks are very secure in there home now though.

The next step was to layout the shape of the oven on the bricks. This is to be a round domed oven. Some pizza ovens use a "barrel" style layout. The is going to be a little more all purpose than that. I marked out the circle for a 42" diameter. This should give us plenty of space for a fire and for multiple pizza's or loaves of bread.



After I had the oven chalked out I began mixing some sand and water together to get a mixture that would hold its own weight. Next a started piling the sand into the marked oven area.




Finally I shaped the sand into a dome. This dome represents the inside of the oven space. The next step will be to pack clay around the outside of the sand form.
So the next step is going to be coming up with a clay mixture to pack around this form. After mixing 10 wheelbarrow loads of sand and water today just to get the form put together I think that I will rent a commercial mixer for the clay work...my back is kind of killing me right now.

Neil

No comments: